Thursday, June 7, 2007

Kerrville Folk Festival

Yes it is that time of year again. For those of you who do not know what the Kerrville Folk Festival is you are either missing out or are one of the lucky ones. It all depends on how you look at things. I will give you a little background on this Festival. It all started back in 1972 a group of singers and songwriters got together for a camp out. It is the longest continuously running music festival of its kind in North America. For 18 straight days and nights each May and June, over 30,000 guests come from all over the world to experience the magic of what they simply call “Kerrville”. The Festival is known internationally as a Mecca for singer songwriters of varying musical style. It’s a place where those just developing their skills have the opportunity to play their music along- side master craftsmen. For the outsiders it seems like a bunch of aging (and young) hippies running around town for 3 weeks. I know it says it is only 18 days but by the times they get here to set up and then get cleaned up at the end it is 3 weeks. They all seem very nice they are just a little on the strange looking side. I work at Albertson's and they flock to our store (it is the closest grocery store to the ranch). We welcome all the extra business. At the store we try to look past the hairy armpits and the next to nothing clothes that some of them have. I remember the first year that I lived here during the Folk Fest I had to be reminded not to stare at the "white people dreads". Last year was the first year that I took a drive to the ranch. I was wondering what it was like up there, 18 days living in a tent, and it always rains during the Folk Fest. It was really quite different than anything I had ever seen. There were people of every walk of life. There were doctors, teachers, lawyers, and free spirits all camping and working together all because they each had a love for the same music. Working at Albertson's is how I know what they do back home. Like I said they are all very friendly and they like to tell us about themselves. Most of the hippies that I met are regulars. There is this guy Larry (I thought I had a picture but I guess not) that comes every year and he is in his 60's he has a long long beard and he wears a skirt. Yes that's right a skirt. He is a very nice man though. Well I guess this is the end of my Folk Fest blog I just wanted to tell you guys about it and I had to include the pictures so you would understand a little about what these people are like. And yes they are hippies they sit around and drink and smoke pot alot of the day.

4 comments:

Alice said...

Sweet! I had no idea Kerrville had such character! ;) I wanted dreads at one time in my life...thankfully I never did it. I bet you can find some sweet music and I think that might be something I would just like to check out. Not for 18 days though, just an afternoon. well and minus the pot. :)

The Rookie said...

That is fricken' awesome! Hehehe...I love how totally professional people during the 9-5 weekday are absolute nuts the rest of the time. I second Alice in saying I gotta check this fest out...talk about an ideal people watching opportunity!

Heidi said...

Well it starts Memorial weekend every year. You guys should come down sometime.

Anonymous said...

As a long time (over a decade) KFF attendee and volunteer that does in fact spend a month in a tent, I have to say thank you for the nicely worded and non biased review of our little festival. I find that too often the locals, myself hailing originally from Bandera and being VERY familiar, are usually not as accepting. One of the staggering facts about the Festival is that during peak times we are actually the third largest city in the county. That's right, within the fence we have our own Trash and Recycling crews that are better than most of our home towns. We have a Medical crew, Security, A communal Kitchen, water and ice services and everything else a small town would need...all provided by volunteers happy to perform the services for the chance to participate in the magic of the campfire jams. If you come out this year, pay attention to the people who make it happen, you will be impressed at what a bunch of "funny looking hippies" can do. Oh, and as for the pot, yeah I suppose it is around. But I assure you and the locals that no hard drugs are tolerated by either the festival itself nor the people who love it. It just doesn't happen.