Friday, February 1, 2008

The Girls

All my life I have been very close to my cousin Jordan and my sister Julie. It is almost like we are all three sisters. My Mom babysat Jordan when she was younger. We all spent alot of time together at our grandma's house. I grew up thinking that everyone has this type of bond with their sisters and cousins. At work we spend more time than we should talking about our lives, I have found that there are many who do not even see their cousins or siblings that much. I am very glad that my family has formed a stong bond with each other. We recently spent a girls weekend together and I was able to spend time with most of the girls on my Mom's side of the family. We had a great time. I have been telling people about it and some seemed surprised that I would want to spend time with my Mom/sister let alone my grandma/aunts/& cousin. Personally it surprised me that they wouldn't want to spend time with family. I can't help but think that our church has something to do with it. I was raised my whole life to think of family as a presious thing. I am so greatful for that. Where would I be without the love and support of my family?


I wanted to share some of my Vegas pictures and thought it would be nice to let my family know that I love them and miss them. I would like to know if any of you have strong family ties not just to siblings but to aunts or cousins. Is it just me or just a mormon thing?

2 comments:

Amber said...

I don't know if it's an LDS thing. On my mom's side I'm incredibly close with my cousin who is my age (there are only two and the other is a boy about 5 years younger than me). They aren't LDS. They are the family we do the huge family reunion with every other year.

My dad's side is LDS- but I'm not close to any of them. A couple I wish to never see again in my lifetime (and yes- they are that bad).

My husband's family is all LDS- but he's not close with any of his cousins.

I think that the mom sets the tone. My mom was close with her sister- and my maternal grandparents made the effort. My Dad's parent's didn't make the effort.

My mother in law doesn't seem to care for her siblings- so it makes sense that she wouldn't make the effort to get her kids together with their kids- even though they all grew up within 20 minutes of each other.

I think it's sad though.

Alice said...

How fun. Sounds like you guys enjoyed yourselves and didn't raise too much trouble. :)

I think parents definitely play a role in how you feel about cousins. I was closer to a few of my cousins, because my mom was close to her sister. Likewise, the sister my dad is closest to, her kids are the only cousins on that side I ever really see.

My sisters and I get a long very well and I think our kids will be pretty close. My parents will be in on that, especially my mom, because I think all three of us talk to her just about everyday :).

Sometimes they can drive me crazy of course, but I am glad I have my family nonetheless.